The importance of unplugging

Or at least trying to....

Cell phones, tablets, e-readers, laptops, notebooks, computers, VR-devices, Apple watches, digital television, Netflix, .... and so much more.
Books replaced into digital editions, texting has turned into whatsapp and imessage, etc.

Our lives are becoming increasingly more digital. From Facebook to LinkedIn, the options are immense and sometimes even a little scary.
I'm no stranger to them either. I often find myself going from laptop to phone to tablet and back. Constantly worrying that I might have missed something important.
I have friends across the world ranging from Australia to as close the UK and the World Wide Web is exactly what you need to keep in contact with them. It's probably the means that got you into contact with them in the first places.

If I were to calculate the amount of time behind my computer I think I'd be astonished. It's not like I feel guilty about this. Why would I. My computer is my baby and I need it both for work and personal life. I don't just browse cat memes. I use it for work, for my administration, to write on, to prepare, etc.

But lately, especially when my eyes hurt from all the screen time, I have felt the need to go on a digital cleanse. To unplug from the world and just breathe and (as cheesy as it sounds) enjoy the little things around me (or even, finally clean up the mess that my room has become).

I try to unplug once every two months for a week. And I'm not going to lie, I can't unplug 100%. I'll admit, it's more 'cutting down rather than fully unplugging. I need my phone and computer for my job. But what I DO do is that in my spare time I'll refrain from using them. I'll reply to the odd text I receive (but who receives texts still? All my messages seem to be sent through Whatsapp. Seriously why do I still pay for my phone subscription?)
I'll leave my tablet, computer and phone alone for the entire night. What will I do instead? Read or write. Or I'll watch some tele with the family. I know technically television isn't necessarily considered unplugging but at least I'm spending time with my family and thoroughly enjoying it.
Also, I'm surprised at the amount of other stuff I got done during that time.







So what I'm trying to do is not necessarily cut out all electric/digital devices my life but cutting down the amount of time I spent on them.



Comments