Flash Review: How To Be A Woman

5/10 for How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran 
Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother.


I struggle with this one because I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. It wasn't bad but it wasn't mindblowing either.
This book had a few very good bits and there were definitely a few key points in which I felt myself scream in agreement. YOU GO CAITLIN MORAN, 4 FOR YOU GLEN COCO!
And then there were bits where I sighed, rolled my eyes and wished for the book to pick up already.
I think I struggled a lot with the memoirs. Some of them really underbuild a point or were a good build-up to a next chapter etc. Other parts seemed to be unnecessary.

The fact that I felt this book existed more out of memoir than feministic pamphlet - as described by many people around - is probably why I struggled.
Some books just come with certain expectations (created by the public/publisher/writer/my mother/....), completely out of their own power. But sadly, sometimes that's when it can't live up to what's expected.
It feels like this was the case with this one....

On the plus side, I definitely had a few laugh out loud moments.

Comments