Book Review: Waiting For You

2,5 stars (It was ok) for Waiting for You by Catherine Miller

Waiting for You is an emotional and gripping debut novel you won’t be able to put down… 
You’d never guess that Fliss Chapron doesn’t have it all.
All Fliss wants is to see two blue lines telling her she is pregnant with her much longed for second baby. But as the negative tests stack up, dreams of completing her perfect family feel more hopeless every day. 
After years of disappointment, Fliss’s husband Ben is spending more time at the office than in their marital bed, and Fliss finds herself wondering who could be responsible for their inability to conceive another child. Yet, where do you lay the blame when it comes to having a child – and can anyone really be at fault… 
As Ben becomes increasingly distant, Fliss begins to question whether her desire for a baby is just a sticking plaster to save her marriage. Because in the end, how well can you ever know another person…even the man you’re married to? 
Source: Goodreads


I was kindly given a copy through Netgalley, with many thanks to the publisher.

I'm not sure why this story didn't catch on with me. It had some beautiful elements. It was honest, sweet and filled with love and compassion. Yet, it couldn't get me captured.
In honesty there wasn't anything I didn't like but it still wasn't enough.
I've explained before how there's books that you experience and books you read. This story was one I got to read rather than experience and I think that's why I feel so troubled about this one.

Fliss is trapped in a not so ideal marriage situation. With her husband living in London during the week and only visiting their house in Kent during weekends a strain has landed on their marriage.
This isn't helped by Fliss incredible desire to have a second child and the constant failure she's faced with. After a countless amount of negative tests and some convincing from her friends Fliss decides to sign up for a documentary.
During the months of filming and preparation Fliss finds herself falling in love unexpectedly, confused about her marriage, and finds out her husband has kept secrets from her that has been affecting them both more than she could've known.

There is a blooming relationship in this story that I really liked to read about and gave me the occasional butterflies. I've liked coming back to the two of them and see how things developed.
I just wish it had been enough to completely envelop me in the story.




Comments