Book Review: Finding It

5 stars for Finding It by Leah Marie Brown.

Publication date: September 29

Falling in love is the ultimate faux pas. 
Anything can happen in a year! Unemployed, homeless, and left at the altar, Vivia Perpetua Grant could see her future as a flannel pajama wearing spinster—or worse, a bag lady shuffling around Golden Gate Park. But for a girl obsessed with rock music, Chinese take-out, and the color pink, misfortune is another word for opportunity. Vivia has found her niche as an international travel writer and the long-distance lover of Jean-Luc de Caumont, an über-hot French literature professor and competitive cyclist. 
Still, even with so much going right, Vivia can’t help but wonder if something isn’t missing. The long distance thing is taking its toll on a girl who didn’t have that many tokens to begin with. And fate seems to be tempting her at every turn, first with a hunky Scottish helicopter pilot, and then with a British celebrity bad boy... Will Vivia continue to keep it real or will she discover some old habits die hard? 
Source: Goodreads



I was kindly given a copy through Netgalley, with many thanks to the publishers.

Finding It is the second book in the It Girls series and my first encounter with Leah Marie Brown's quirky characters.

I absolutely adored this book from beginning to end. Vivia Perpetua Grant is exactly the kind of main character that I tend to fall in love with immediately. Quirky, no-filter, and utterly chaotic in life. Yup, those are the heroins I relate to the most and Vivia is no exception. In many ways she reminds me of two of my other favourite characters: Lindsey Kelk's Angela Clark (I heart series) and Lucy-Anne Holmes' Sarah Sargeant.


Vivia Grant has finally got life together. She's got a great job that allows her to travel all over the place, is slightly famous on social media, and has a gorgeous boyfriend who she loves. During one of her many trip, and in less than 48 hours, Vivia finds herself arrested by Royal Palace guards, scooped up by a posh British hotel owner, kissing a famous comedian, close to being proposed to, and breaking up with her boyfriend.
If that doesn't sound like a whirlwind of events, then I don't know what does...

But that's hardly the beginning. Soon enough, she is residing at a sheep farm with her two friends Fanny and Poppy, learning all about sheep and surrounded by hot, bulky Scottish men.


These lovely Scots do come with a warning. Be prepared to rack your brain with your best Scottish reading glasses, as I sometimes really had to whisper the words out loud in order to make sense of them: I didnea ken I'd t'be multilingual for this book ;)

I said this before but Vivia is my kind of heroin. The way she approaches life is very 'act first, think later'. And she has that way of speaking in innuendos that I enjoy so much.
So far, authors like Lindsey Kelk and Lucy-Anne Holmes have managed to make me laugh out loud in public when reading their stories, Leah Marie Brown is now added to that very select list.
On several occasions she's made me giggle and snort with Vivia's way of dealing with things. My all-time favourite one being running down a hill, screaming about a sheep having a seizure.

Aside from Vivia, I found her other characters equally charming: Poppy, Fanny, Calder, and Luc. They all added to the mix of what made this book such a charming read. It was a perfect mix of funny, emotional, and sexy.

And as much as I wanted Vivia to get back to Luc and make some sweet, sweet love. I was secretly hoping for some sexy time with Calden, simply because he sounded absolutely perfect. In fact, I would like myself one of those!! Pretty please!

Whenever either Luc or Calden appeared on the scene there was wolf whistling going on in my head and words like YUM and SWOON kept ringing through my head.
So upon receiving this tweet from Leah Marie Brown, I couldn't be happier!



YAY!
After having finished Finding It, there's no doubt about it. I am incredibly excited about Book 3, Working It and can't wait for it to be out. And I NEED Book 1 to find out more about Vivia's background!


A laugh out loud novel with beautiful men and a charming main character.
I want more!



Comments

  1. Thank you for this wonderful review. I'm so glad you liked Vivia and her quirky cast of characters. It's surreal to me when a stranger says that they enjoyed my book and then I made him laugh out loud. I can't think of a better thing than making someone laugh and having them thank you for it.

    Slight confession: That scene with the sheep and Vivia flying down the hill and panic? Yeah, that really happened. Almost exactly as I wrote it. In my defense, the old woolly booger was quite a good actor. Apparently, Angus and his mates had quite a laugh over it.

    I'm headed back to Scotland next month with my best friend and we will be staying at the same farm. I will be writing articles for my blog and posting photographs on Twitter and Instagram, so if you're interested, you can meet the real Angus, Fiona, and Shep!

    Oh, and as far as the old sheep? I am on to his game and I'm not going to fall for that business.

    Thanks again and many best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment